Dance Instructor Reveals Top 5 Tips To Better Turns
One thing that many dancers struggle with and always want to make better are their turning skills! You can never be too good at turning! Here are some tips to think about the next time you are practicing your turns:
1. Tighten your core (abs) when you turn.
2. SPOT! I’m sure you’ve heard your teacher say this before, and I’m sure you gave them the “WHAT??” look. Trust me, it is a very important skill. It keeps you from getting dizzy (allowing you to turn more) and it helps increase your speed (making your turns super sharp and making it easier to turn while dancing to those fast songs). Keep your eyes on a fixed spot on the wall. When you lose sight of it, turn your head as fast as you can back to that spot.
3. Make sure you are in your legs a little bit. You don’t want to turn on wimpy legs, so make sure your muscles are engaged.
4. Back to #1: CORE!! Tighten your core. Use those abs! They are there, I promise!
5. Practice. You cannot get better at anything if you do not practice and turns are no exception.
If you’d like to know more about Celebrity Ballroom Dance Studios of Marietta, Ga, we invite you to come join us at our next Open House Night this Thursday. It’s a very special night we make available for first time visitors who want to know more about ballroom dance and our studio.
Come mingle and enjoy an evening of free dance lessons, food and drinks in a relaxed no obligation environment, and see if ballroom dancing is for you. NO PARTNER IS NECESSARY – But bring a friend if you’d like!
~ If you’re on Facebook, visit us at @celebrityballroomdance